PRAGMATIC AND TARGETED MEASURES TO RAPIDLY IMPROVE THE SITUATION OF REFUGEES
Monday 19 June 2023
For World Refugee Day on 20 June, Caritas Luxembourg has issued a position paper with a series of recommendations to improve the welcoming, support and integration of refugees.
THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUES INCLUDE:
- fair treatment for the different categories of people fleeing their country
- autonomy of action and greater responsibility for NGOs
- better reception in shelters
- better reception for unaccompanied minors (UFMs)
- more flexible access to the labour market
- introduction of financial aid for family reunification
- the implementation of appropriate training
- as well as the regularisation of certain groups of third-country nationals.
Caritas Luxembourg's recommendations on asylum policy, migration and social inclusion are based on the field experience of its staff, who are in daily contact with applicants and beneficiaries of international protection and temporary protection (DPI/BPI/BPT) through the various support services. In their day-to-day work, Caritas Luxembourg staff realise that the situation of many people could be rapidly improved if certain very pragmatic and targeted measures were taken. This would benefit not only the people concerned, but above all Luxembourg society as a whole.