Get involved with refugees
Wednesday 11 December 2019
Caritas Luxembourg is currently looking for a wide range of volunteers:
At the Esch-Neudorf home in Esch sur Alzette, a home for families, single men and single women, we are looking for:
- a volunteer giving French courses / support women in learning the alphabet
- a volunteer supervising children after school in the absence of their parents. Motivation, creativity and patienceare essential.
- support children and young adults (7 to 18 years old) in schoolwork (cycles 1 to 4/secondary), especially in German, French and Luxembourgish and also in mathematics. Schedule: after school from 4:30 pm to 6 pm
- support single men in learning French
At the Senator refugee centre in Luxembourg City, a centre for families, we are looking for:
- volunteers to help two young refugee girls, attending the Lycée Technique du Centre (LTC), in physics, economics and accounting, on Tuesday or Thursday after 3pm, in the evening or on weekends and with a frequency of once or twice a week.
- volunteers wishing to support 3 children aged 6 to 7 in their homework, as well as 2 boys (15 and 13 years old) in French, Luxembourgish, German and maths.
At the St. Antoine refugee centre in Luxembourg City, a home for families, we are looking for:
- a volunteer to help an adult refugeet with job searching. The refugee speaks good French and a little bit of Luxembourgish. He lacks in self-confidence. The presence and support of a volunteer could be an encouraging solution. For a few weeks, he should be encouraged in job hunting and prepaed for job interviews.
At the refugee centre in Mondercange, a centre for single men, we are looking for:
- volunteers helping young full-time students needing support in French, English and Luxembourgish, as well as in mathematics. The course level for mathematics corresponds to that of cycle 4.2. Courses can be given in the evening between 5 pm and 8 pm and, if necessary, on Saturday mornings. Learning in groups of two or three people or individually can also be considered, depending on the needs.
- volunteers offering cooking classes to young refugees who have no notion of European cuisine, but who are eager to discover our culinary culture. The centre is equipped with a kitchen.
- volunteers offering weekend activities: pool, football, etc. It is important to have a car
- volunteers for conversation classes in French at a beginner level, several times a week, in the evening.
The refugee centre in Foetz, a family centre, is searching for:
- a volunteer to give French lessons to refugee women, within the centre, every Wednesday from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (this is the time when another volunteer can stay and take care of the young children).
The refugee centre of Diekirch, a family centre, is looking for:
- volunteers interested in coaching tailoring workshop, ca. 1 morning per week. Equipment, location and tissues are at the disposal of the volunteer. The person should have a little knowledge of tailoring to inspire the residents, coach them and transfer competences in a pleasant environment.
- volunteers able to coach conversation groups in French (French levels A1-1 / A1-2...)
- volunteers able to givee French language support courses (literacy, beginners)
- volunteers able to coach handwork activities (carpentry, decoration, gardening, etc.).
- a volunteer to coach recap sessions in French. Preferably 2-3 times during the week for 2 hours each time. Start: as soon as possible. End: early June, but there is a possibility to extend if we see a need. Target population: young men and women between 18 and 30 years of age. In small groups of 6 - 10 participants preferably. The people concerned are literate, but they have only a beginner's level.
- a volunteer ready to organize a Zumba class for refugee women, preferably a woman, on Fridays at 5:00 pm
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 621 21 37 14
The mission can be adapted to the time availability of the interested person. The volunteer will be able to participate in other ongoing projects, as well as propose new projects. Friendly environment and motivated residents!
At the refugee centre of Oberkorn, a family centre, we are looking for:
- volunteers offering to a dozen refugee children aged 5 to 13, tutoring and homework help (cycles 1 to 4) in German and French, after school on weekdays (from 4.30 p.m. to 6 p.m.).
The refugee centre in Differdange, a family centre, is searching for:
- volunteers willing to work with young refugees by offering individual support courses in French, Luxembourgish and English. Timetables to be defined.
- a volunteer for French classes for adults, once or twice a week. The schedule is to be defined with the volunteer.
- a volunteer for cooking workshops with women. It would be a convivial moment of exchange between women. The workshop would preferably take place one morning per week between Monday and Friday (to be defined together with the volunteer).
Contact: email@example.com, tel: 621 644 096
For the refugee centre in Marienthal, a family centre, we need:
- a volunteer to supervise manual activities such as gardening in our existing garden/vegetable garden. The objective is to support residents in the process of planting and cultivating vegetables and to help them discover the different varieties. It would be essential for the volunteer to have a knowledge in the field
- a volunteer who would like to supervise activities for women such as creative workshops, wellness workshops (creation of face care products, make-up/manicure or even cooking).
- volunteers who would like to give individual support courses to our residents who are eager to improve their skills in French. From Monday to Friday, the hours are flexible.
At the refugee centre of Bigonville, a home for single men, we are looking for:
- volunteers for diverse recreational activities depending on the talents available: culinary workshop, gardening, nature walks, games, etc... Period and frequency to be defined. No foreign language skills required.
- volunteers to support the residents of the centre in learning the languages of the country. This support can take a formal or ludic form depending on the volunteers' preferences. Time and rhythm to be defined.
The Moulin de Bigonville is located in the beautiful Rambrouch-Perlé region. 30 km from Mersch or Ettelbruck and 50 km from Luxembourg City.
At the refugee centre of Esch sur Alzette, a shelter for single men, we are lokking for:
- one or more people able to provide a French course 4 days a week from 6pm to 8pm (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday). This course is currently aimed at 4 beginners but very motivated people. They are enrolled in school and need support to move forward.
- one person wishing to offer an introduction to the Luxembourgish language because some residents ask for it.
- several people wanting to be present at dinner time to distribute the meal and give a smile in addition (7:30pm-8:30pm).
- one person motivated to support the residents in the maintenance of the centre's garden.
- one or more people wishing to bring a little happiness to the decoration of the home.
At the Valeriushaff refugee home in Tandel, a home for families, single men and women, we need:
- several volunteers to get involved in tutoring two young adults,
- one person to make conversation sessions in French with adults,
- one person to make literacy classes for seniors who are unable to travel,
- one person to provide cooking classes in French.
- one volunteer to run sewing classes, preferably in the afternoons, any day of the week or weekend.
We appreciate any initiative to help our residents get out of their homes and get to know the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The LogIS service "Housing for social inclusion" needs volunteers interested in supporting refugee families in schoolwork :
- Vianden: mathematics help for a girl (6e générale francophone) and French help for her brother (5e polyvalente francophone)
- Esch-sur-Alzette: help in French for a girl (6ème general) and for her brother (3rd primary year)
- Rodange: homework help for two children (3rd and 4th year of primary school)
- Echternach: help in German and mathematics for a child (2nd year of primary school)
- Wiltz: help in German and mathematics for 2 children (1st and 3rd year of primary school)
At the Maison "Le Temps des femmes" in Heisdorf (commune of Steinsel), a house for refugee women, there is the need for:
- volunteers to help at the Maison "Le Temps des Femmes" with welcoming refugee women and participating in creative workshops, conversation workshops (in French and Luxembourgish), excursions. People with artistic or craft skills are also welcome.
- volunteers helping with the translation from French/English into Tigrigna.
Opening hours: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12pm to 4pm and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8am to 12pm.
Feel free to visit the Facebook page of the Maison "Le Temps des Femmes".
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 621 187 430
At the social service for refugees and migrants, we are looking for:
- a volunteer willing to help an Afghan man to learn French. The man is currently doing an intensive French course in Mersch, but needs support, once to three times a week, in the morning between 8am and 12pm or after 6.30pm or at the weekend in Beaufort.
Within the framework of the UBUNTU project for refugees that are under the Dublin procedure and housed in Hall 6 of LuxExpo in Kirchberg, we need:
- several volunteers able to organise afternoons of discussion, listening and support. A very warm and welcoming place, in a small place in the railway station district. 1 afternoon per week, in French or English.
The Educ'actif service, supporting young refugees, is looking for:
- a volunteer to give Luxembourgish language classes to a young refugee in the second year of an apprenticeship in sanitary heating. Schedule: twice a week, Wednesdays and Fridays from 6pm or Sundays. The course takes place at the Foyer Foyer St. Antoine in Luxembourg-City.
Contact: email@example.com, tel. 621 78 78 27 57.
For any question, please feel free to contact :Caroline Theves Tel.: +352 40 21 31 - 260 firstname.lastname@example.org